The Hope Scott Trust was set up by the late Mrs Hope Scott to help promote Music and the Visual Arts in Scotland. The Trust allocates a proportion of its resources to help musicians with commissions or grants for musical events and it also helps artists and sculptors (with a particular focus on emerging artists) with grants for exhibitions, catalogues and travel etc. Preference is given to applicants who are Scottish by birth, or live permanently in Scotland.
Grants are not given to cover ordinary educational/course fees, except in exceptional cases. Grants are however given in some cases for further tuition and associated travel costs in the UK and in other countries. Literary applications will not generally be considered, however, they may be considered if they are linked to an Exhibition or promotion of an Artist. Please note that the Trust does not fund instrument purchases nor does it fund documentary filmmaking.
Applicants should be aware that grants very rarely exceed £2,000 and more commonly are for lesser sums. Please note the trust operates a no repeats policy and will not consider repeat applications from successful applicants within 3 years*. Intending applicants are asked to bear in mind that the trust has limited funds. The trustees would like to use the money at their disposal to help people and projects where there is a serious financial need.
* Due to the negative effects of the pandemic on public exhibitions and performances, the trustees may consider awarding grants up to a maximum of £5,000 at their meetings in March 2022 and June/July 2022. They will also consider applications from applicants who have been successful in the past 3 years.
The trustees meet three times a year usually in March, June and October. Applicants will be informed of the trustees' decision as soon as possible after the meeting.
Deadline for applications: Wednesday, 2 March 2022 (midnight)
Please note late applications will not be accepted.
Next meeting: Thursday, 31 March 2022
If you wish to apply for funding from the Trust please follow the instructions below:
- Please fill in your chosen application form with description and aims.
- Add supporting documentation (references, budget, CV, images [no more than 12 images] etc) to the end of the form or as links within the application form in Word. Please do not send Dropbox files or any additional attachments apart from the GDPR form found below.
- For General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) reasons either print off the consent form and sign before scanning and submitting or use an online Esignature tool. Typewritten signatures are not acceptable.
- Please ensure your application is on time as late applications are not accepted.
If you require further information, please contact:
Grants Applications Administrator
Telephone - direct line 0131 460 6491
Telephone - switchboard 0131 225 1200
General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR)
Download Hope Scott Trust Application Form
Special Categories of Data Consent Form
The Hope Scott Trust is a charity registered in Scotland, No: SC016262